Masonic District C - Hamilton, Ontario
Home
About Freemasonry
District Leadership Team
Our DDGM
Past DDGM
Our History
Trestleboard
Recent Events
Upcoming Degrees
Photo Gallery
District Lodges
District Newsletter
District Lodge Halls
District Associations
Masonic Foundation
Masonic Board of Relief
MasoniCHIP Program
Blood Donor Information
Obituaries
Masonic Education
Raymond Daniels Legacy
Links
Upgrade Your GPS
Contact Us
GLCPOO Approved #03D14


The Electric Lodge No.495


Background
 W. Bro. Alexander Mouriopoulos 

There is no doubt that our Masonic forefathers, who assembled on June 23rd, 1909, would justly be proud of the continued progress, in Masonic life, The Electric Lodge No. 495 has made since that time. For many of the younger members of The Electric Lodge, and visitors, there seems to be an abiding interest as to why the name "The Electric" was selected. The Lodge took its name from the Companies from which its Charter members had originated. One was Hydro's predecessor, The Dominion Power and Transmission Company. They drew their power from Decew Falls which was located on the Niagara escarpment, South and West of St. Catherines.

That same generating station, still used by Hydro, is located on Victoria Avenue,close to the C.N.R. line. The father of Right Worshipful Brother James Dixon, one of the founders, was one of the first householders to have electric lights installed in his home and, for several years, visitors came to see the marvel of the electric light bulb.

The company supplied power to the Street Railway and the various high speed electric railway lines, known as radials, running to Burlington,Brantford and Beamsville.  Founders of The Electric Lodge were associated with Management for all those firms who were heavy users of electricity, as well as the Bell telephone. Thus the name "The Electric" was chosen for the new Lodge. There is a picture in the Dundas Masonic Temple of V.W. Bro. A. E. Hutchinson, an employee of Bell Telephone Company, and the Worshipful Master of the Lodge in 1921.

Back in the 1920's many firms used both Dominion Power and Hydro so, that if and when one had a power loss, they could switch over to  the services of the other company. The Lodge was instituted at the inaugural meeting,Wednesday, 30th June 1909, by R.W. Bro. William Birrell.     At the Grand Lodge meeting in July of 1910, a warrant was granted to The Electric Lodge, numbered 495. In the October of 1910, the Lodge was dedicated and consecrated. A report from the local newspaper read: No more of a distinguished or representative a gathering of local Masons ever gathered in the Masonic Hall, than those who participated in and witnessed the dedication and consecration of The Electric Lodge A.F.& A.M. No. 495 G.R.C., by the Most Worshipful the Grand Master, M.W. Bro. Judge D.F. MacWatt. The first election of Officers of the Lodge took place on the 18th October, 1911. The Electric Lodge was the Eighth Masonic Lodge constitued in Hamilton and the twentieth in the Region..

One of the notable occasions in the history of our Lodge occurred in 1944, when after the great fire at the Moose Hall in Hamilton, the  Worshipful Master of that year, W. Bro. William M. Hoyle, as president of the Masters' and Wardens Association., was instrumental in forming a Masonic Blood Donor Clinic.   This filled a desperate need in those times for several years, until the service was taken over by the Canadian Red Cross Society.   As a result of his work in connection with the blood donors, V.W.  Bro. Hoyle was appointed a Grand Steward.  This appointment was made on the Grand Master's initiative as a special mark of r
ecognition.

The Lodge has been privileged to provide, to our Craft, several members who have served in the position of District Deputy Grand Master:  The first was R.W. Bro. Herbert  F. Fuller for Hamilton District "B" in 1951.  The second being R.W. Bro. James G. Hamilton for District "B" in 1970.    The third being R.W. Bro. John J. Knight for Hamilton "C" District in 1984, and the 1998/99 D.D.G.M. for Hamilton "C" District the fourth person of R.W. Bro. Peter C. Mouriopoulos. and for the year 2013-2014, R.W. Bro. Geoffrey S. Allan was the D.D.G.M. for Hamilton "C" District.


The Electric Lodge celebra
ted One Hundred Years of service on the June 23rd, 2009.


PLEASE NOTE WE MEET AT THE HILLCREST MASONIC TEMPLE, 257 MOHAWK ROAD WEST, HAMILTON



Officers of the Lodge

  W. Bro. Alexander Mouriopoulos
Worshipful Master
  W. Bro. Kenneth E. Brisbois
Immediate Past Master
  R.W. Bro. Peter C. Mouriopoulos
Secretary
Phone: 905-570-2432
 
  Bro. Istvan Horvath
Senior Warden
  Bro. Chris P. Mouriopoulos
Junior Warden
  Bro. Sebastian A.G. Mouriopoulos
Senior Deacon
  Bro. David A. Gabriel
Junior Deacon
  V.W. Bro. William N. Gordon
Senior Steward
  W. Bro. Thomas L. Kazias
Junior Steward
  Bro. Benjamin N. Romita
Inner Guard
  W. Bro. David J. Jack
Tyler
  W. Bro. Michael J. Schram
Chaplain
  W. Bro. M. Daniel Raab
Director of Ceremonies
  V.W. Bro. Jaimie F. Bennett
Treasurer
 
  W. Bro. Douglas J. Sutton
Historian
 

Location
The Electric Lodge No.495
257 Mohawk Road West, Hamilton, ON.
phone: 905-570-2432
Website Address: http://www.electric495.com

Past Masters of the Lodge

Name Year
R.W. Bro. Geoffrey S. Allan 2013 - 2014
R.W. Bro. Peter C. Mouriopoulos 1998
R.W.Bro. John J. Knight 1984


© 2017 Copyright Hamilton Masonic District C